Town supervisor is an elective legislative position in New York towns. Supervisors sit on the town board, where they preside over town board meetings and vote on all matters with no more legal weight than that of any other board member (no tie-breaking or veto powers).
Towns may adopt local laws that allow them to provide for an executive branch, an action authorized by the New York State Legislature. As such, some supervisors have additional authority or executive powers, whereas some towns have town managers or chief executive officers who serve as the executive branch, leaving the supervisor to his or her traditional role in the legislative branch.
In most towns the supervisor is considered a full-time position, although many supervisors also have other jobs concurrently, while the service on the town board is considered part-time work.
West Seneca West High School Graduate, 1979
State University College, Buffalo, NY, Bachelor of Arts, Economics, 1985
Harvard Business School of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, Management Development Program, 2006
Erie County Youth Board, Chairman, 2003-2007
West Seneca Comprehensive Plan, Chairman, 2006
FEMA, Hurricane Katrina Relief Team Leader, Oct-Nov 2005
West Seneca School Board, Vice President, 1997-2000
REAL PROPERTY MANAGENT GREAT BUFFALO, Erie and Niagara County
President/Owner, 2013 – Present (franchisee Real Property Management)
Property Manager known for attention to detail, customer service and optimal management of properties. More than 20 years of experience in real estate that includes accountability for maintenance, leasing, and operating functions. Adept at managing multiple projects while forming strategic relationships with diverse populations. Presently properties under contract total 100
REAL ESTATE PROPERTY OWNER, West Seneca, Brockport, NY
- Oversee property leasing of seventeen units in the Buffalo and Brockport area, including student housing, residential duplexes, and a boarding house.
- Secure 100% occupancy rate by implementing continual effective marketing strategies.
- Maintain positive relationships with new and existing tenants at all properties.
- Provide assistance with tenant emergencies and conflicts.
CAZENOVIA RECOVERY SYSTEMS, Buffalo, NY
Property Manager/Director of Facilities, 2010-2013
- Managed six large residential apartment complex buildings and twenty duplexes.
- Supervised crew of four in timely facility and maintenance services.
- Oversaw all leasing activity, including application processing, move-in preparation, leasing files, and renewal document and move-out requests.
- Coordinated sub-contractor projects, securing bids and approving completed work for payment.
- Managed $250,000 annual budget while establishing future reserves for capital improvements.
- Served as Life Safety Committee Director.
LMM PROPERTIES, INC., Amherst, NY
Senior Community Association Manager, 1996-2000
- Managed four community associations, serving 1,250 residential homes.
- Collaborated with Board of Directors to develop and implement strategic plan for the operation of community association.
- Managed daily community needs, including maintenance and safety practices.
SIBLEY REAL ESTATE SERVICES, INC., Getzville, NY
Community Association Manager, 1991-1996
- Managed nine condominium associations, serving over 1,000 units.
- Developed fiscal management policies and procedures to protect association assets, help maintain property values, and keep spending within budget parameters.
- Maintained regular communication with Board of Directors and community residents.
BENCHMARK MANAGEMENT CORPORATION, Amherst, NY
Property Manager, 1990-1991
- Effectively managed nineteen commercial properties, two medical buildings, and strip plazas.
- Drove all property operations for assigned properties, including service delivery, rental programs, and association agreements.
- Represented Benchmark in all matters related to renters, contractors, vendors, and employees performing work on property.
RELATED MANAGEMENT CORPORATION, Buffalo, NY
Leasing Agent, 1988-1990
- Maintained positive relationships with new and existing tenants at over 140 units.
- Reviewed prospective tenant applications, verified rental references and employment, and confirmed source of income.
- Increased curb appeal of a large apartment complex by initiating decorating and furnishing.
- Aided management with various tasks, including financial and budget reporting.
WEST SENECA YOUTH BUREAU
Youth Director, 2000-2007
- Directed broad range of youth programming and events for over 500 youth, ranging in age from five to eighteen years old.
- Planned, implemented, and evaluated all programs and services focused on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
- Managed over fifteen employees and volunteers in performing various age appropriate activities.
- Ensured healthy and safe environment via thorough management of facilities, equipment, and supplies.
James R. Lawson, Preparing your home to be a rental
Buffalo News Home Finder Extra, January 2016
James R. Lawson, Upgrade your property, upgrade your rent
Buffalo News Home Finder Extra, December 2015
James R. Lawson, Real estate investor over stock investor
Buffalo News Home Finder Extra, February 2015
James R. Lawson, Important decisions for property owners
Buffalo News Home Finder Extra, September 2014